How to save computer / pc energy usage tips, guide
Average Power Consumption: Desktop Computers 60 -500 watts Sleep or standby 2-6 watts Laptops 15 - 60 watts Monitors 100 - 150 watts Monitor LCD 35-45 wattsTips on saving computer energy usage:
1. Shut down your computer if your computer is not in use. It is not good to let it run all the time.
2. Let it sleep after periods of inactivity.
3. Switch the monitor off if you are not going to use it for several hours.
4. Use your screensavers. Screensavers keep your CPU awake and hard drive active and make your computer use more energy. Screensavers especially photo screensavers may require the extra use of a graphics card, which means you¡¯ll have the hard drive, graphic card and monitor all in use at once.
5. Use your computer¡¯s power management features and modify power options. You can set the amount of time you want your computer to wait before entering energy savings mode.
6. Use LCD monitors whenever possible. LCD monitors save about one-third of the electricity consumption of the traditional CRT monitors.
7. Close applications if they are not in use.
8. Lower the screen brightness.
9. If you plan to purchase a new computer, make sure that you choose a computer and monitor that are Energy Star compliant. Energy Star compliant computers are said to be energy-efficient. If you need to use a computer all the time, try using a laptop instead of a desktop PC. In general, laptops are greener than desktops because they have been designed with power sensitivity in mind.
10. Unplug the chord off the wall after using your computer if your laptop is using AC Adapter.
|©1994 - 2010 Edusoftmax Inc. All rights reserved. Questions? Comments? Visitors:|