Wireless network security
Wireless network is a network set up by using radio signal frequency to communicate among computers and other network devices. Sometimes it is also referred to as WiFi network or WLAN. This network is getting popular nowadays due to easy to setup feature and no cabling involved. You can connect computers anywhere in your home without the need for wires.
The default setup will let anybody with a wireless network card with in range to connect to your network. If you have the bandwidth limitation and if someone uses your bandwidth, you will need to pay the extra. And also if someone gets into your network, your important data will be in danger. So it is very important to protect your network. The following steps that will help you secure your wireless network. But you should remember there is no such thing as a totally secure network. What you are going to do is to make it as hard as possible for the hacker to get into your network.
1. Most wireless routers use an internet browser to access and configure the settings. Make sure you password protect this so no one can change your settings. If it has a default login and password change it.
2. Do not use WEP encryption because it will be easier to be hacked. You need to use WPA or WPA2. They are more secure.
3. By default your router will be broadcasting the name of your network. You should turn off SSID Broadcasting and remember that every computer in your network must be set with your matching SSID.
4. Use MAC Filtering. This will add another layer to your network security. For getting the MAC address, you can use "ipconfig /all" command.
5. If possible, limit the amount of possible connections to your network.
6. Lower your broadcast strength so that you can reduce the signal strength there will be less chance of your neighbors getting a strong enough signal to connect to your network.
|©1994 - 2010 Edusoftmax Inc. All rights reserved. Questions? Comments? Visitors:|